£40,000 - £60,000
Is this opportunity for me?
We’re a small consultancy looking for junior full stack engineers with 1-2 years of experience. Clojure experience is a plus. Looking for someone that loves to work in highly collaborative environments and wants to be part of building a company. You’ll be working with a team of highly experienced software engineers with lots of opportunities to learn and grow. If this sounds like it might be of interest to you, please read on to get a feel of who we are. If we sound like we could be a good fit, send us your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deliberate is a small software consultancy that was built on the belief that “surely there has to be a better way?”. Founded by two passionate problem solvers, Deliberate helps its clients to build tech that works for them and fulfils their needs. Deliberate was founded in 2014 and since then, we have worked with many different clients in the e-commerce space enabling them to better serve their customers and provide tools to enable their staff to solve problems with ease.
From the early days of Deliberate, we worked with a network of trusted independent partners to help us deliver valuable software. In the midst of the 2020 craziness, we made a crazy decision of our own and hired our first employee. A few months later we hired our second, then our third. Now we’re looking for one, possibly two thoughtful, creative, and passionate Software Engineers to join our team.
Our approach to software delivery will undoubtedly include an abundance of buzz words. We’re lean, agile, believe in CI/CD, TDD and make Ops a core part of everything we do.
Some of our teammates are T-shaped and share their expertise in the analysis, testing and project management spaces. Others are laser-focused and can explain to you tech quirks you didn’t know existed. We help each other grow by learning from each other and expanding the breadth and depth of our knowledge.
We believe every person is unique and has something valuable to offer, so whether you spend your weekends writing code, out on walks or spending quality time with your loved ones, we would love to hear from you and have a chat.
Our new teammate will see themselves in the following;
- You love being part of a team. You love discussing ideas, solutions and care about improving psychological safety.
- You love learning new things! Many of our teammates learned at least one new language while on projects.
- You have a pragmatic approach to software development. Technology is a means of solving the clients’ problems.
- You want to shape what gets built. You want to do more than just write code and you’re excited about being part of a creative, evolving Team that loves trying new things. You break chunky features down into smaller, iterative pieces of work that deliver value along the way.
- You’re comfortable working in a codebase where you’re jointly responsible for everything from the UI layer to the backend services (and everything in between!)
- You want to be part of building a company. Whether you want to be involved in the foundational work needed or simply offer feedback and opinions on initiatives and direction. It’s important that you want to be part of the journey.
- You ask yourself every day, what's the simplest way i can make this happen for the client
Why is T-shaped important to us
We love small teams, which means eliminating bottle necks so that we can get from start to complete as quickly as possible. We don't expect everyone to be a master of every role. The ability to solve the immediate problem even if it's outside of our main skill set really helps us be productive. We value the ability to adapt and people who enjoy solving a variety of problems.
What impact can you have
We're not just a consultancy, we are also looking for and trying out product ideas. There will always be the opportunity to pitch and work on product ideas as the opportunity arises. We welcome everyone in shaping the company culture, we want to build a fulfilling and fun place for people to work as much as we want to have a business that sustains an environment where that's possible.
While every project has varying needs, we’re currently using lots of TypeScript, NextJS, React, Kotlin, Clojure, Terraform, AWS & GCP.
We are 100% remote and don’t expect that to change in the foreseeable future! We aim to do a team social every few months to remember just how tall people are.
- Salary Range: 40-60k
- Pension: Up to 8% Matched
- Personal equipment budget: 3k
- Ergonomics Budget: 1k
- Holiday: 35 days plus public holidays
- EMI Options: Discretionary % after 1 year
- Incentive Plan: Yearly Discretionary % of profits are divided between employees based on performance every year.
Hiring Process and timeline
Initial conversation The first conversation will be with a member of the team to understand more about your background and give you more insight into what working with Deliberate looks like.
Take-Home Test You will have a week to work through a take-home test at your own pace.
Technical interview This will be a 2 hour technical interview over Zoom.
A chat with the co-founders This is the last stage and will give you the opportunity to meet and ask the co-founders any questions you may have about the role, the teams or the company.
We’d love to hear from you! We know that imposter syndrome is real, so please do get in touch even if you don’t quite match all of the things we mention. As we are such a small team, we think we would struggle to support someone who is at the very start of their career right now. We will be open to earlier career applicants at some point next year.
You can apply by sending your CV to email@example.com or using the form on this page.